The Budvar brewery directly followed the historical tradition of brewing in the town of České Budějovice (Budweis) dating back to the 13th century – to the date of the town’s origination when it was granted brewing rights.
Since its founding, the “Czech Joint-Stock Brewery” focused on making top-quality beer, which soon became a highly sought after export beer. In 1897, our beer was awarded a gold medal at a trade fair in Stuttgart and by the end of the 19th century the brewery was exporting to Vienna, Trieste, Venice, Alexandria and Kobe in Japan.
In 1930 a new trademark “Budvar” was registered for a new type of lager, soon becoming synonymous with internationally top-quality beer.
“The biggest little brewery in the world”.